Mario Deluigi

Mario Deluigi

Mario Deluigi (Treviso 1901-Venice 1978) trained at Venice’s “Accademia di Belle Arti” under Ettore Tito and Virgilio Guidi. He both exhibited his work in 1928 and contributed to the Venice Biennial in 1930 for the first time. Around 1934 he became interested in Cubism and in Synthetic Cubism above all. From 1942 to 1944 he was assistant to Arturo Martini at the Accademia di Belle Arti of Venice and in the latter year he held his fist one-man show at the Galleria del Cavallino. In 1946 he won the Premio Burano, he founded the Scuola Libera di Arti Plastiche (with Carlo Scarpa and Anton Giulio Ambrosini) and began teaching set design at the Istituto Universitario di Architettura of Venice (IUAV), where he remained until 1971. In the 1950’s the artist turned towards abstract work, signing up in 1951 to the Manifesto dell’Arte Spaziale and engaging thereafter in the Movimento Spaziale per la Televisione in 1952. Deluigi continued his deliberation on connections between space, light and colour that would have become a dominant theme in his work – where light was conceived as a structural device not simply painted but created within the canvas by means of strokes cut into the surface. This technique of “grattage”, which already appeared well-defined at the Biennial of Venice of 1954 in works entitled Motivi sui Vuoti, characterized the whole of his subsequent output. During the 1960’s and 1970’s Deluigi kept up his investigations into light and took part in national and international exhibitions including several editions of the Biennial of Venice (1930, 1932, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1962, 1968 – the last two in a personal exhibition room), and at the Quadriennaleof Rome in 1959 and 1972. In 1980 the Biennial of Venice organized a retrospective exhibition of his work in the church of S. Stae.

Official website of Mario Deluigi